Friday 1 June 2012

luncheondeal's outing to Spitalfields

Eater: Kota Satay was okay but not sure I'd go there again.  The portion size was acceptable and the noodles tasted regular but the chicken had that strange texture that I think might mean it was pumped with water to fill it out.  The chilli sauces on offer were acceptable.

The Ten Bells was good, I would go there again. 

So how do you be "balls out, non literal" about stuff then? I just Googled "gonzo" and it hasn't helped. I think I might like literal descriptions so I'll have to continue, possibly to our detriment

CD: I quite enjoyed my food actually: a decent sized portion, tasty noodles, plus the peanut sauce was delicious. I thought the chilli sauce was a bit gross though, too stodgy and with a crass heat rather than any kind of subtle flavour. The best bit is clearly The Ten Bells, it's fun going in there before all the hipster douchebags from the local area make their way down there and instead there's just a few stray City boys with their ties off for lunch. Oi oi! It does feel like a bit of a rip-off eating around there though, for approximately £6 the food is still only moderately tasty and the environment feels quite strange and sterile. Where do you want to go and eat next week?

Sorry it took me ages to respond! Thursday and yesterday were mad busy. Gonzo is like Hunter S Thompson, so I guess we shouldn't go that mental for the sake of lunch reviews. I dunno..it's quite hard this. I guess just attempting to transcend literally describing the food and into something more amusing / engaging..not sure how to do this though.

Eater: I though the peanut sauce was watery.  I wonder what the set up is with those shops.  There wasn't much choice on the menu and it was all not great quality.  They've got a good deal going there, serving fairly crappy food for quite high prices.  I am jealous of them.  Jealousy seems to be a running theme for me.  I wonder how much you could make from a place like that.  The benches to eat on surrounding the place weren't that interesting, you are right.  Those American tourists opposite us weren't saying anything worth eavesdropping on.   

CD: Yeah the whole place is primed for tourists and/or wealthy City boys who don't mind paying over the odds for moderate food. Idiots. I bet you could rake it in if you had the cash to start somewhere like that up. Oh well. It's all a bit overtly kooky / cutesy / Time Out blog-ish round there, you know? I just like old man pubs!


No comments:

Post a Comment